Saturday, September 15, 2012

"But I say to you, Love your enemies..."

I was going to continue an exploration of the “fundamental assumptions” underlying the world-view of the Book of Common Prayer. A death in the family and all that entails prevented my intention. The overseas events of the past week require me to put my ruminations on the Prayer Book to the side for another week. After several phone calls and emails with friends and parishioners, it seemed important to consider some notions about a Christian response to the events of September 11, 2001 AND 2012.


I write this the evening of September 12. Yesterday morning I marked the 11th anniversary of “9/11” by offering a Mass at 8.45 in the morning, the time the first hijacked plane crashed into the North Tower. I thought the day was to be a day of tributes to the fallen. It ended, as you know, as something else altogether.

Muslims in Egypt attacked the American Embassy, destroying property and defacing our flag. In Libya elements of Al Qaeda marked 9/11 by storming the consulate, killing staff members and murdering our ambassador. There are new dead now to be remembered. Among them, 80 Coptic Christians killed this week by Muslim rioters. There is little mention of this in the media, there rarely is. It will be some time before information trickles out about how many churches were ransacked and parishioners were killed on September 11, 2012. The Muslim Brotherhood, now controlling Egypt, has announced more “demonstrations” after mosques close following prayers on Friday. I don’t know, other than talking, what our politicians will do. I do know what we, as Christians, must do. We pray for the dead, and then, remember the Lord Jesus’ words, “…I say unto you, Love your enemies, and pray for them that persecute you.” Hard words, which only a Christian has the strength to put into practice. That’s our high—and very difficult—calling, one we dare not shirk, if we’re to be worthy of the name Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment